Scallop, chorizo and chicory salad with balsamic glaze
When scallops and chorizo feature in a meal you can't go far wrong. This takes less than 10 mins to prepare so great for a light lunch or starter when you are entertaining.
I have used chicory here, which is not everyone's favourite but any salad leaves would do but I think crunch and colour are important
Ingredients: Roe on scallops (3 per person), sliced chorizo, spring onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil
1) Pan fry your scallops- you are aiming to get a nice caramelised colour on each side here. 2 important aspects of achieving this are:
- Make sure your scallops are dry. Use kitchen towel or leave uncovered in the fridge for a while
- Start with hot pan and cook scallops for 2 mins on each side. It's best to cook a few at a time rather than overcrowding the pan.
2) Put your cooked scallops aside to rest and add the chorizo to the pan on a medium heat, cooking until golden edges appear and the pan oil turns scarlet
3) Whilst the chorizo is sizzling, prepare some salad leaves (chicory) and slice a spring onion
4) Take out you cooked chorizo and return the pan to the heat. Pour in some balsamic vinegar and scrape/mix with any sticky chorizo or scallop residue left in the pan
5) Add olive oil to the balsamic reduction to make it a pouring consistency. This is your salad dressing so you want approx 3:1 oil to balsamic
6) Arrange your salad leaves and put your scallops and chorizo on top. Drizzle the warm balsamic dressing. Sprinkle the chopped spring onion.